The restaurant which is now owned by the Schwarzmann Family, has already existed for five centuries and is known for its hospitality. Around the year 1430 it was named “Raven” which was later changed to “Three Ravens”.
It received its present name about 170 years ago from workers who pulled the freight ships up the Main River with their horses. Once ships were unloaded at the Alte Kranen or Old Crane, the shipowners or their deputies came to the restaurant where they negotiated loading and freight prices. These negotiations were usually done over a glass of wine. Since shipowners and workers, usually from the City of Mainz, gathered at the restaurant “Three Ravens” on a regular basis, one of the restaurant owners decided to change its name to “Zur Stadt Mainz” or to the City of Mainz.